Friday, May 29, 2009

Kid's Art

I shouldn't admit this, but like most parents, I occasionally get overwhelmed by the volume of weird and wonderful creations my son brings home. With that being said, I don't keep everything. Not even close. One way that I gauge whether arts & crafts should be kept is by the excitement and pride my youngster displays in showing me his masterpiece-of-the-day. If he's pumped, there's probably a reason. And if I find myself sneaking a second and third peak while the art project awaits final judgement, I've got a keeper! Here are some things to keep in mind, once you've decided something should be held in the family archives:

  • Put a date on it. That finger painting won't mean anything to anyone if you have no idea when it was done.
  • Don't hide it, display it. And not just on the fridge. Use frames or metal bars and magnets to display artwork on the walls of a playroom or child's bedroom.
  • Have a designated spot for the collection. You can keep it in file folders, a portfolio -- somewhere that is easy for you to access, so that you will add to it regularly. Make sure the location is suitable to accommodate a growing collection. A kitchen drawer won't do.
  • Scan or take digital pictures of the art. You can toss the original, but keep the electronic image indefinitely -- without taking up space.
  • Use the electronic images to make greeting cards, photo books, etc. It's a great way to showcase your child's talent and shows them how much you value their work.